We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About The Role
The Marketplace Fares Team powers global fares for all of Uber – that’s all riders, drivers, eaters, and technical consumers. Tens of billions of dollars in gross bookings flow through the systems and experiences within our responsibility. Our scope and critical work spans the entire stack – from platform fare calculation for riders and drivers, to data science prediction of trustworthy upfront prices, to compelling mobile fare experiences for our customers. Fares is a full stack team with two product-centric tracks (Rider Fares & Driver Fares) and two platform-centric tracks (Fares Platform & Fares Intelligence). On this team, you’ll work closely with product, operations, data science, and engineering teams throughout the company.
What You’ll Need
- 2+ years experience of demonstrable proficiency in architecture/building of systems that are horizontally scalable, fault-tolerant, well monitored, and easy to debug
- Delivering, scaling, and owning highly successful and innovative software products with your fingerprints all over them – you’re extremely proud of what you’ve accomplished
- Perseverance to get things done with a focus on shipping online production systems. Roadblocks don’t get in your way – they get you excited for the challenge.
- Deep love of building elegant, maintainable, well-documented code. Abstracting and refactoring should be a passion, not a chore.
- Drive to always learn new things and go above and beyond the call of duty
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach to problem-solving. Always working to improve yourself and constructively support the team around you
About The Team
Uber’s Marketplace organization is directly impacting the everyday experiences of everyone who uses Uber. We are working to solve the hardest computer science and analytics problems to optimize Uber’s marketplace. We translate those solutions into a deeply elegant real-time platform, and bring the fundamental science to life in the experiences that enable our riders, eaters, rushers and driver partners to connect through innovative and personalized experiences. Simply put, we are solving problems that have never been solved before in the world’s largest two-sided logistics market. We are not only building the intelligence platform to solve the rote concept of balancing “supply” and “demand” across time and space, but also diving deep into that which makes each city, municipality, and country unique and diverse to create tailored experiences for each community.